[whatwg] should we add beforeload/afterload events to the web platform?

On 1/10/12 2:49 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbarsky at mit.edu>  wrote:
>> On 1/10/12 12:48 AM, Tantek ?elik wrote:
>>> Should 'beforeload'/'afterload' be explicitly specified and added to
>>> the web platform?
>>
>> Outside of extensions, what are the use cases?  Can they usefully labor
>> under restrictions like knowing the URI to be loaded but not the context
>> it's being loaded in?  AdBlock apparently can in at least some cases, yes?
>
> Some web sites use beforeload to monitor for mixed content
> vulnerabilities.  In some cases, they block the load

Do they really need to block the load, or block processing of the response?

For the mixed-content case, it seems like blocking processing of the
response is enough (and that furthermore only the URI is needed, not the
actual element, to detect mixed-content cases).

-Boris