Re: [whatwg] Support of link rel=prefetch

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 07:40:14 +0000 (UTC)
To: Laurent Perez <l.laurent.p@gmail.com>
Cc: whatwg@whatwg.org
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Laurent Perez wrote:

> I'm testing the prefetch attribute of <link> tags described at
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/links.html#link-type-prefetch
>
> I've only seen it work on Firefox desktop and mobile, on Chrome desktop,
> and on Android 4.0 stock browser. Mobile Safari, Opera, IE10 or Chrome
> for Android do not support it.
>
> Has this feature been abandoned because of lack of vendors interest?

Abandoned by whom? You listed five browsers (using two browser engines)
that support it. :-)

I suspect further interest in this area is probably more likely to come in
the shape of the prerendering feature, though:

   http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2012-March/035065.html
   http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2012-November/037833.html

Currently, only Chrome has indicated any interest in this feature.