Re: [whatwg] what use-case is there for the name-attribute on a fieldset?

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> <!DOCTYPE html>
> <script>alert(document.forms[0].hah)</script>

What Anne is saying here is just that this is what browsers already
implemented. Specifically, forms but <fieldset> elements in their
.elements array.

(When writing the contemporary HTML spec, I mostly ignored the HTML4
spec, and based the new spec on what browsers did.)

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012, Evert Van dansen wrote:

> I am sorry, perhaps I misunderstand, but I do not see what the advantage
> is over using "regular" hooks (like id) in this case? Surely adding the
> name-attribute must have been a decision based on something specific?

There's no advantage. In fact it is an entirely useless feature as far as
I can tell. :-)

The name, type, willValidate, validity, validationMessage, checkValidity,
and setCustomValidity features on fieldset are only there so that you can
enumerate all the controls in a form.elements array and be confident that
they will all have all those features, so you don't have to keep checking
that it's not a fieldset each time.