Re: [whatwg] Resource loading in browsing context-less Documents

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:34:50 -0800
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
On 12/18/12 3:25 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Looking at the spec and at browsers more carefully, it seems that this is
> actually per spec (i.e. the spec says to follow the link).

Does it say to do that if the ownerDocument of the <a> has no associated
browsing context?  What if it's not the currently active document?

> IE and Firefox
> apparently don't, WebKit and Opera apparently do. I've left the spec as is
> since it seems harmless and half the browsers do it.

We can probably allow navigation for cases in which the ownerDocument is
the currently active document of a browsing context, in Gecko.  I don't
think we'll be allowing it in the other cases...

-Boris