Re: [whatwg] Fwd: fallback section taking over for 4xx and 5xx responses while online

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012, David Barrett-Kahn wrote:

> We ran into this same problem on Google Docs offline.  Our solution was
> to add a proprietary response header to Chrome which instructs the
> browser that the response is not to trigger the fallback entry, despite
> its response code.  Something like it could be considered for
> standardization. I know there are some people on the Chrome team looking
> to advance some new appcache features, and that this use case is on
> their list.

Can you elaborate on the need for this feature? Why would you ever send
the user to a 404 page intentionally (i.e. when the server isn't broken)?
Similarly, why would you not consider the server returning 500 a good
indication that the cache should be used?