Re: [whatwg] API for unique identification of devices (mobile/tablet/pc)

From: Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:37:46 +0100
To: "Stan" <stasson@orc.ru>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, Tobie Langel <tobie.langel@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
"Stan" <stasson@orc.ru> schrieb am Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:51:57 +0300:

> […]
>
> The main point, if device ID could be available it would provide more
> great possibilities for users and web-services.

From the top of my head, I can imagine the following possibilities:
  - persistant device tracking
  - permanently banning devices for services
  - mapping devices to users when possible, leaking information

Apple iDevices already have unique device IDs, which were described
as a "tempting opportunity for use as a tracking agent or to correlate
with other personally-identifiable information in unintended ways."

I suggest you read the following analysis critical of Apple's approach:
<http://www.pskl.us/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/iPhone-Applications-Privacy-Issues.pdf>

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>