Re: [whatwg] I believe source rectangles for HTML5 Canvas drawImage are specified incorrectly

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 13:04:41 -0800
To: Justin Novosad <junov@chromium.org>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, Jeff Muizelaar <jmuizelaar@mozilla.com>, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@pobox.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Kevin Gadd <kevin.gadd@gmail.com>
On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Justin Novosad <junov@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>

> > The reason to prefer the current behaviour is if you want to just update
> > small part of an image. For example, if you draw a bit photo, then draw
> > text over it, then want to remove the text by just drawing the photo over
> > where the text was but not redrawing the whole thing. If we clamped to
> > source rectangle, we'd get artefacts in this case that couldn't be worked
> > around (unlike the problems with scaling sprites, which can be worked
> > around, albeit in a suboptimal fashion).
> >

> I disagree. There is an efficient workaround for updating a subregion of an
> image without getting filtering artifacts around the edges : use clipping
> to limit the update region

How is that an efficient workaround?
It involves setting a clip, calling drawimge with a larger (complete?)
image and then removing the clip.
This seems much more expensive for such as common operation. (ie a game
that wants to remove an animated character)

> On the other hand, the workaround to prevent color bleeding when using
> spritemap is much less efficient since it requires padding, which is
> wasteful by definition, and in cases where the sprite can be downsized, the
> padding margins may have to be very large.

As Ian said, copying the sprite image to a non-scaled canvas first (which
most games probably do anyway) works around the issue.
There is no need for padding in that case.