Re: [whatwg] Controlling the UI on <input type=date>

The only thing I've seen in a spec was CSS3 System Appearance, but it had
poor support and was ultimately removed.

2 years ago, I contacted people from Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, and Opera
about this, but I haven't seen any real progress. A few weeks ago, support
for <input type="week/month"> landed in Chrome Canary and this fiddle was
provided to show how to prevent the calendar from showing up:
http://jsfiddle.net/PPpUu/ This is clunky and doesn't even fully solve the
problem.

Here's one of the emails I sent after getting a response about device
vendors wanting to provide consistent UI/UX throughout the device (tying
their native calendar into controls like <input type="date">):

The problem is that no matter how consistent the UI/UX is, I want to
> opt-out because it will never be good enough. I want to customize the UI to
> look like my app, layer on additional functionality, etc. All of this is
> possible today without the new input types. However, once the new input
> types are used, this becomes more difficult. For example, enhancing a text
> field into a datepicker is really common, but you can't do this with a date
> field because of the new UI. I really don't think that JS implementations
> of these input types are ever going to die, no matter how good the native
> implementations work. There's just too much functionality that users will
> want that won't be possible because the APIs would be too large to spec.
> Falling all the way back to text fields works, but then we lose all the
> other benefits, such as the new attributes/methods, built-in validation,
> type-specific virtual keyboards, etc.
> So the end goal is still to have consistent UI/UX cross-browser, but not
> necessarily cross-site.

We get a lot of requests for jQuery UI widgets to work on the new input
types. However, as things are right now, all we can do is say no.