[whatwg] Fullscreen changes to support <dialog>

On 5/04/12 2:15 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Sean Hogan<shogun70 at westnet.com.au>  wrote:
>> So the ::backdrop could be styled to not cover the whole page?
> Yes.  It's there for convenience only, since people often want an
> element that does exactly this.  If we didn't provide it explicitly,
> they'd just awkwardly wrap their<dialog>s in a background element
> anyway.
>

>> Could it default to a "top" layer, but optionally be given a z-index?
> Can you describe a use-case for putting the ::backdrop somewhere other
> than directly underneath the dialog/fullscreen element?

So that a menu-bar in the page can still be interacted with.
An optional z-index would be easier than calculating backdrop dimensions
to not overlap.

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Sean Hogan<shogun70 at westnet.com.au>  wrote:
>> So this "top" layer prevents all user-interaction with the rest of the page?
>>
>> If that's the case, it seems a bit inflexible. I would imagine that some UI
>> designers would like parts of the page to still be clickable - a couple of
>> examples:
>>
>> - a toggle button to show / hide the dialog (probably part of a menu-bar).
>> - a menu bar with buttons that, when activated, first dismiss the dialog
> Both of your examples would be done by using elements that are
> children of the<dialog>, and perhaps just positioned explicitly
> somewhere.

That doesn't sound like a good solution, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Look at my blog:

http://meekostuff.net/blog/

At the bottom is a simple site menu. If you click on the "contact" link
it pops up a dialog with a backdrop that covers the whole page... except
for the site menu. The dialog can be hidden by a "close" link in the
dialog, OR by clicking the "contact" link again.