[whatwg] [media] startOffsetTime, also add startTime?

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012, Philip J?genstedt wrote:

> > > In current Opera and Firefox the timeline is always normalized to
> > > start at 0, so the time that corresponds to 0 in the original
> > > timeline would be at a negative currentTime.
> >
> > I still don't really understand what you mean by "start" here.
>
> What I mean with "normalized to start at 0" is that when playing the
> whole resource

Now I don't understand what you mean by "whole resource". :-)

If a TV station starts broadcasting in October, and you join the stream in
February, the "whole resource" is many months long. Where's your zero?

(I guess it's academic if you plan on changing; I'm just curious.)

> The spec changes around explicit timelines and static/streaming
> resources are a big improvement, thanks! However, it now talks about
> both "explicit timeline" and "explicit timings" in a way that makes me
> uncertain about Ogg. Ogg (at least without skeleton) is just a stream of
> timestamped packets, so the timeline simply spans the timestamp of the
> first packet to the timestamp of the last packet. WebM is similar in the
> streaming case in that timestamps the don't start at 0. Clarification of
> whether or not "explicit timestamps" (Ogg, WebM) implies an "explicit
> timeline" would be welcome. I assume that's the intention, which I also
> agree with. (Perhaps saying "explicit frame durations" instead of
> "explicit timings" would also help.)

I've tried to change this.

> Finally, a typo: "no explicit timings ofd any kind"

Fixed, thanks.