[whatwg] Encoding: big5 and big5-hkscs

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:00:38 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com>
wrote:
> Ideally someone does detailed content analysis to figure out what the
> best path forward is here, though I'm not entirely sure how.

I still don't know how, but thanks to Simon Pieters I gathered some URLs
 from http://dotnetdotcom.org/ and found that 22 pages (of which at least
two are big5-hkscs encoded) out of 609 have byte sequences in the ranges
that are distinct between big5 and big5-hkscs and in most implementations
(in IE they are identical, in Opera big5-hkscs is a superset I believe).
The byte sequences found per URL are published here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Apr/0020.html

To go from (lead, trail) to an index usable in big5.json you can use a
function such as:

def get_index(lead, trail):
     row = 0xFE-0xA1 + RANGE + 1
     cell = (trail-0xA1 + RANGE) if trail > (0x7E+1) else trail - 0x40
     return (lead-0x81) * row + cell

I can do that for the dataset, but I need someone who is able to interpret
the results to see which decoding makes more sense.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/