[whatwg] Readiness of script-created documents

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Friday, March 30, 2012, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>> > Jonas is correct. Since there was no interop here I figured we might as
>> > well go with what made sense.
>>
>> I'm somewhat unhappy about fixing IE-introduced APIs to "make sense"
>> like this. The implementation in Gecko isn't particularly good. When
>> trying to make it better, I discovered that doing what IE did would
>> have lead to simpler code.
>

> That's not a particularly strong argument. The question is what's better for
> authors.

Gratuitously changing features introduced by IE does not help authors
one day have to support the old IE behavior for years.  Either authors
don't use the API in the uninteroperable situation or they will have
to deal with different browsers returning different things. The
easiest path to get to the point where all browsers in use return the
same thing would have been for others to do what IE did.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/