[whatwg] [editing] queryCommand(Indeterm|State|Value) for commands where they make no sense

From: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 16:33:59 -0400
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> I have a fear for start throwing exceptions at places where we didn't used
> to because that'll end up stopping the script. ?I guess we can start logging
> some console message first but given the market share of IE and WebKit and
> how they're both used in native frameworks (.net / WebKit), I'm not
> convinced this is the best option from compatibility perspective.
> Regardless, it appears to me that we need more usage data we before we make
> a call.

If there will be no change without data, and no one is in the process
of actively gathering data, then I'll change the spec to require the
more compatible behavior for now, which is to say not throwing.  This
will still not be precisely compatible with how IE/WebKit work, of
course, but as usual, there's no way to be compatible with everyone.