[whatwg] Proposal for improved handling of '#' inside of data URIs

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:30:07 -0700
On 09/11/2011 07:21 AM, Michael A. Puls II wrote:
> Not only must "#" be "%23" if you don't want it as a frag id, but ">"
> and "<" should be "%3E" and "%3C".
[...]
 > Of course, if you can percent-encode everything needed as you type, you
 > can hand-author the URI data. But, who wants to do that,

As I noted in a response to Nils earlier in this thread,
Firefox/Webkit/Opera don't actually require authors to percent-encode
brackets and spaces in data URIs. (not sure whether that's correct per
spec or not).

For example
   data:text/html,<i>here is some italic text<i>
works just fine in all three.

So that makes it quite easy to hand-author data URIs, in fact. (aside
from this "#" gotcha)