[whatwg] Proposal for improved handling of '#' inside of data URIs

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 11:09:11 +0200
> I think you misunderstand my position. I'm weakly against the proposal
> in question; the strongest argument in favor of the proposal is that
> there is either a current or future deployed base of data: URIs that
> won't work without it but do work in either past browsers or some subset
> of future ones.
>
> Of course the simplest way to prevent the future URIs thing being a
> problem is for UAs that don't follow the URI spec here right now to fix
> that, but I haven't sensed much willingness to do that in the past, or
> earlier in this discussion. :(

+1 for trying to sanitize the parsing in Firefox.

Given the fact that this change made it into the release without any
major uproar there might be a chance that other UAs might simply adopt it.

> Given the choice between converging on this proposal and the status quo
> in which UAs just do wildly different totally wacky things, I'd pick the
> proposal, I think....

If we can't get the perfect fix (UAs consistently doing what the spec
says), then of course converging on something that is less broken than
before may be good.

Best regards, Julian