[whatwg] Proposal for improved handling of '#' inside of data URIs

From: Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 03:04:50 +0200
Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at MIT.EDU> schrieb am Sat, 10 Sep 2011 20:34:18
-0400:

> On 9/10/11 7:53 PM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:
> > Is fragment use in data URIs possible at all?
>
> Possible, and desirable; otherwise SVG data: URIs are pretty much
> useless.

Thanks, I had not thought of that.

> > The last point ? interoperability ? is satisfied by any widely
> > implemented outcome. The first point ? author expectations ? I
> > question. So, how often does this occur?
>
> Having a '#' in the document being encoded in a data: URI?  Pretty
> much any time the document includes any CSS (colors) or SVG (paint
> servers and the like).

Oops, partial misunderstanding. While I did not think of SVG (thanks),
I wanted to know how often authors have erred here by not properly
encoding their data, expecting it to work. It just seems weird to me;
the people I know who know about data URIs certainly know how percent
encoding works ? often taking advantage of automatic tools for the
conversion.

Btw: Are there possible security implications of data URI parse changes?

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>