[whatwg] readystatechange for SCRIPT (Re: Feedback regarding script execution)

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 17:03:03 -0400
On 9/8/11 4:41 PM, Hallvord R. M. Steen wrote:
> as far as I know Opera is currently the only browser that supports both
> script.onload and script.onreadystatechange, and this is causing us
> compatibility problems because many scripts set both and expect only one
> of them to run. For this reason, we plan to drop
> script.onreadystatechange support.

That will break still other sites.  That's why it's been added to the
spec; it turned out that as long as script.onreadystatechange is not
undefined (which the spec currently requires because it defines all on*
attributes on all elements) there are sites that expect the event to be
fired.  Where by "sites" I mean at least Yandex maps so far in Gecko's
experience of shipping this for a few weeks in nightlies.

The other obvious option here is to move onreadystatechange from being
on all elements to only being on some elements....

-Boris