[whatwg] <comment> and <ad> elements

From: Shaun Moss <shaun@astromultimedia.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 08:21:51 +1000

On 2011-09-05 7:56 AM, Shaun Moss wrote:
> I like your thinking about the possibility of a comment being about
> another web page, or about an item on that web page. It could have 3
> basic forms:
>
> <comment for="#id"> to refer to an item on the same page, e.g. an
> article or blog post.
> <comment for="url"> to refer to another web page.
> <comment for="url#id"> to refer to an item (article or similar) on
> another web page.

Actually, now that I think about it, these forms don't really work. For
starters, there should not be a '#' preceding the id of the related
item, for consistency with the "for" attribute as used elsewhere (e.g.
<label>).

More importantly, there is probably no need for the value of the "for"
attribute to be a URL. In any situation where a comment is about another
web page, a link will be present on the page that the <comment> can
reference. So the form in this case would be:

<a id="link-id" href="http://example.com">Example website</a>
<comment for="link-id">
This website has a lot of great resources and ideas.
</comment>

Hence the only valid usage for the "for" attribute would be as with
<label>, i.e. for="id".

Cheers,
Shaun