[whatwg] Fullscreen revision I

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 00:32:43 +0900, Glenn Maynard <glenn at zewt.org> wrote:
> Doing this synchronously means nobody can ever implement ask-first.
> Don't permanently lock everyone into a permission scheme with known
> problems.

Since the events are not dispatched synchronously I think we should always
be able to change.

> It also seems odd that fullscreenElement is set synchronously, but
> fullscreenchange events are fired asynchronously.  It would make more
> sense to do them together, from the same task (set all
> fullscreenElements first, then fire all fullscreenchange events).

1) You want them to be set so when the UA does its transition it knows
what to transition to.

2) You cannot set them all from the same task because that would not work
for non same-origin documents.

> This is much more complicated for developers.  If fullscreenEnabled can
> change, you have to monitor it to change UI (eg. show/hide fullscreen
> buttons).
>
> How is this simpler than just making requestFullscreen switch the
> fullscreen element?

If you allow changing the fullscreen element you need to track what
documents changed, dispatch events as appropriate, and you keep the
problem that exiting exits everything which is quite odd.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/