[whatwg] Fullscreen Update

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:

> 1) How much should UI-based and API-based fullscreen interact? To me it
> seems nice if pressing F11 would also give you fullscreenchange events and
> that Document.fullscreen would yield true. Why would you not want to give
> the same presentation via native activation and API-based activation? Of
> course when you activate it UI-wise, navigation should not exit it. For
> native <video> controls the case seems clearer that they should work using
> this API.

Agreed.  What should the target be for the fullscreenchange events in the
native activation case?  Should it be the documentElement or perhaps the
window?  Since the fullscreen attribute exists on Document instead of
Window, it seems like it might be odd to dispatch the fullscreenchange event
to the window.  However, in the native activation case, you could really
argue that it is the window that is being presented fullscreen and not the
document since fullscreen survives navigation.

> 2) Chris brought forward the case of nesting. You have a fullscreen
> presentation (lets assume API-based activated for now) and in that
> presentation there's some video that the presenter wants to display
> fullscreen (lets assume the video player is a custom widget with API-based
> fullscreen activation for now). Once the presenter exits displaying the
> video fullscreen, the presentation should still be fullscreen.
>
> Initially this was brought up with the video being hosted in a separate
> descendant document, but the video could be in the same document as well.
> roc suggested a model that works when you have separate documents and it
> could be made to work for the single document case too, as long as the level
> of nesting remains is no larger than required for the presentation scenario
> mentioned above.
>
> Is that an acceptable limitation? Alternatively we could postpone the
> nested fullscreen scenario for now (i.e. make requestFullscreen fail if
> already fullscreen).

+1 for punting on the nested case.

-Darin