[whatwg] Entering fullscreen when already in fullscreen mode [was: Fullscreen]

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:

> I think it would be kind of nice if the UI and API-based fullscreen were
> aligned. Otherwise you run into all kinds of odd situations.
>
> E.g. API-based fullscreen first. Then via native <video> controls you go
> UI-based fullscreen for a <video> displayed on that page. What happens when
> you exit? You can have the same scenario the other way around, or both can
> be done using solely the UI, or both can be done using solely the API. It
> would be confusing to users I think if you got different results here.

It'd be nice if native <video> fullscreen buttons could be implemented using
the fullscreen API directly.  A really nice side-effect would be that
scripted video controls could behave exactly the same as native controls
(possibly excluding permission checks), including document.fullscreenElement
and the fullscreenchanged event.

It seems like it would need fullscreenElement to be a stack, though, so
exitFullscreen can drop back into the previous fullscreen state.

--
Glenn Maynard