[whatwg] SRT research: timestamps

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 23:46:15 -0400
On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Ralph Giles <giles at mozilla.com> wrote:

> A point Philip J?genstedt has made is that it's sufficiently tedious to
> verify correct subtitle playback that authors are unlikely to do so with
> any vigilance. Therefore the better trade-off is to make the parser
> forgiving, rather than inflict the occasional missing cue on viewers.

How can you even time subtitles without ever looking at them?

Simon: Another useful statistic would be the number of files which 1:
*always* use periods in SRT timestamps (consistently wrong) compared to 2:
the number of files which mix periods and commas in timestamps (occasionally
wrong).  I'm guessing #1 is much more common.

--
Glenn Maynard