[whatwg] [CORS] WebKit tainting image instead of throwing error

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 23:15:01 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
> > A server has the option of declining _all_ non CORS request (e.g. all
> > requests without an Origin header).  Servers that care about others
> > getting at their images should do so.  Of course that relies on all
> > UAs implementing @crossorigin so that servers can require it when
> > linking to their images... But once we get there, this becomes a quite
> > viable strategy for the server to avoid leaking their images.
>
> I think http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/from-origin/raw-file/tip/Overview.html is
> a better strategy for achieving that. The advantage being that only
> changes on the server are required.

There's no way with this for the server to allow the client to use the
image only if the origin is one of a few hundred origins, but not
otherwise. (For example, allowing the image to be used by any google.*
domain registered by Google, but not any other domain).