[whatwg] HTMLLinkElement.disabled and HTMLLinkElement.sheet behavior

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:54:34 -0400
On 10/4/11 2:41 PM, Julien Chaffraix wrote:
> * However, FF loads the stylesheet synchronously whereas Opera does it
> asynchronously from a JS perspective

Uh...  Firefox does not load anything synchronously.

What Firefox does do is block execution of <script> tags (but not
timeouts, callbacks, etc!) if there are pending non-altenate
parser-inserted stylesheet loads.  This is necessary to make sure that
scripts getting layout properties see the effect of those stylesheets.
A side-effect is that a <script> coming after a <link> will never see
the link in an unloaded state... unless there's a network error for the
<link> or whatever.

> * Some websites (4chan.org for examples) assumes that the |sheet| is
> always available and that |disabled| will work properly regardless of
> when it is called.

OK.  That behavior is allowed by the spec as far as I can tell.

> We ended up reverting our changes due to incompatibilities seen in the
> wild and seek the spec amended before resuming our implementation in a
> compatible manner.

What specific changes do you want to the spec?  As far as I can tell,
right now the spec says nothing about when sheets become associated and
that this would need to be defined, right?  Anything else?

-Boris