[whatwg] HTML5 video seeking

From: Aaron Colwell <acolwell@google.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 10:32:46 -0800
Hi Ralph,

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Ralph Giles <giles at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 14/11/11 03:49 PM, Aaron Colwell wrote:
>
> > Does this mean the user agent must resume playback at the exact
> > location specified?
>
> Maybe you can muck with the 'media.seekable' TimeRanges object to only
> show keyframes?

Yeah I thought about this, but it seems a little hacky and not what the
spec intended for seekable.

> Otherwise, it kind of sounds like you're supposed to start playback at
> the requested position. The final paragraph of that section suggests
> another out: you can reposition the playback head inside the playback
> engine as long as you clip to media.seekable and fire the timeupdate
> and seeked events.

Yeah it looks to me like starting at the requested position is the only
option. I saw the text about media engine triggered seeks, but it seems
like users would be very surprised to see the seeking & seeked events for
the seek they requested immediately followed by a pair of events to a
location they didn't request. I can envision the angry bug reports now. ;)

Thanks for the response. Looks like we are interpreting the text the same
way.

Aaron