[whatwg] Websockets: dropped packets? (Jonathan Chetwynd)

Harald,

Point taken. Having spent a lot of time with the different versions of
the Postel Mail specifications, I got my citation incorrect.

The appendices to RFC 821, however, well prove my point. As noted
directly in Section 1, Introduction:

 "SMTP is independent of the particular transmission subsystem and
   requires only a reliable ordered data stream channel.  Appendices A,
   B, C, and D describe the use of SMTP with various transport services.
   A Glossary provides the definitions of terms as used in this
   document." [RFC 821, Section 1] (Note: I did not check the
intervening versions between 772 and 821 to see precisely when it
appeared)

Appendices A, B, C, and D provide examples of SMTP bindings for various
underlying transports (TCP, NCP, NITS, and X.25 respectively).
There are no implications that this list is exhaustive.

Similarly, in my comments on the WebSocket protocol, there are no
reasons why a similar approach would be inappropriate, or place a
burden on anyone. I do not have access to my notes at this instant, but
as I recall, the only TCP-related dependencies related to the
scheme specifier at the beginning of the URL (e.g., ws:, wss:). IMO,
these, together with other TCP/HTTP dependencies, belong in an appendix,
or since, there is a high likelihood of entropy, in a separate RFC
appropriately titled (e.g., WebSocket Protocol over HTTP/TCP).

This would clarify the heart of the WebSocket protocol from the details
of the transport binding. It would also clarify starkly those details
that are specific to the TCP/HTTP binding, and which may be unnecessary
or inappropriate in the context of a different transport.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com