[whatwg] Full Screen API Feedback

On Thu, 19 May 2011 19:52:20 +0200, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 7:30 AM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com>
> wrote:
>> Are there security issues with this setup?
>>
>> * fullscreen can only be requested by direct user interaction
>> * fullscreen is entered with an animation
>> * after entering fullscreen (for the first time on a site, or whatever
>> rules
>> the UA imposes), it's impossible to interact with the page until the
>> user
>> acknowledges that they want to stay in fullscreen, with the page dimmed
>> in
>> the background.
>>
>> The last point could be replaced by whatever the UA thinks is enough to
>> be
>> sure that the user realizes what has happened, prompting wouldn't be
>> mandatory.
>
> For the biggest use-case, namely video, it would be better if the
> third point was replaced by "hitting most keys exits fullscreen,
> hitting any key or moving the mouse shows UI to close fullscreen".
> It'd be pretty hard to do phishing under those circumstances.

About video in particular, why would we not want video to be keyboard
accessible in full-screen? I very often pause/unpause and seek using the
keyboard when using standalone video players, and I'd like to do the same
in the browser as well.

> As for games, it might be worth pointing out that gamers tolerate
> amazing amounts of annoyance compared to normal users, because they
> aren't doing anything important anyway and the momentary annoyance is
> quickly eclipsed by the fun of playing the game.  Fullscreen games are
> almost always going to be immersive things you play when you have
> nothing else to do, so it might be perfectly tolerable to impose UI
> that's more annoying than we'd normally tolerate.
>
> For example, to play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines on Wine, I
> had to go through a multi-minute setup procedure to get it to start
> properly, but it didn't bother me much, since I'd then play for a few
> hours.  I also once played a game to the end which would blue-screen
> Windows about once every half-hour, so I'd just quicksave often and
> restart the computer when it crashed.  Not to mention the countless
> games that crash to desktop regularly, or suffer from other egregious
> bugs.  And people put up with some games taking a minute or more to
> load individual levels.  Not that any of this is ideal or desired, but
> it should be kept in mind that full-screen games have different
> requirements from things like video, which *need* to be effortless.

Do you think we should have different permission levels in full-screen
which come with different levels of user prompting?

I don't think a persistent overlay is acceptable for either games or video
and keyboard input is needed for both. (No, I don't think it's acceptable
to require a mouse for video.)

--
Philip J?genstedt
Core Developer