[whatwg] Interaction of <wbr> and CSS white-space

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 20:31:12 -0400
On 5/17/11 6:48 PM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Robert O'Callahan
> <robert at ocallahan.org>  wrote:
>> Amazingly, our line breaking rationale is actually quite well documented!
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gecko:Line_Breaking
>> Some comments on UAX#14:
>> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/unicode/linebr.html
>
> Interesting.  I might be misremembering what I read in UAX#14 -- I
> didn't look too closely, and it was a while ago.  In any event, my
> main point was that I don't think this is just a QoI issue, it should
> really be specced.

Unless you think we can come up with the perfect linebreak
identification and prioritization algorithm (_especially_
prioritization), it seems like 100% a QoI issue.

I'm fine with having informative text about this.  I'm fine with having
some normative requirements.

But I'm not fine, for example, with a spec that either requires or
forbids the use of the Knuth and Plass algorithm, say.

-Boris