[whatwg] Interaction of <wbr> and CSS white-space

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
> Whether to prioritize is a CSS issue. ?Whether there's a breakpoint at all
> after the 'f' in the string "y = f(1)" is a quality of implementation issue,
> imo.

Slightly tangential, but I once saw a page that displayed fine in
Gecko but broke horribly in WebKit because of the difference in
line-breaking algorithms.  There was a really long string in a user
comment which Gecko broke over multiple lines but WebKit treated as
unbreakable, with the result that WebKit stretched the page so it was
unreadable.  I think it would be pretty nice if we were to spec
line-breaking behavior -- UAX#14 specifies an algorithm that, as far
as I can tell, is reasonably simple and much better than any browser
now has.  (Although I can't say whether it would be acceptable for
performance or other considerations.)