[whatwg] Interaction of <wbr> and CSS white-space

14.5.2011 6:49, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

 > "The wbr element is expected to override the 'white-space' property and
 > always provide a line-breaking opportunity."
 >
 > Why is this desirable?

It reflects the original and useful idea of <wbr>, which is supposed to
introduce a specific rule in line breaking, making an exception to
normal line breaking rules. This is conceptually simple and means that
such a rule is included in the data itself.

For example, when mentioning URLs in the text of a document, you
normally want to prevent line breaks in them by default and only allow
line breaks at specific points, as in

Oops, my newsreader introduced a line break after a hyphen. And such
behavior is common in web browsers as well. So it is natural to wrap
urls in text in <span class="url">...</span> with CSS rule .url {
white-space: nowrap; }. Or maybe use the nice <nobr>...</nobr>, which is
declared obsolete (for reasons unknown to me).

Anyway, the idea is to disallow line breaks (that would otherwise be
allowed by line breaking rules, whatever they might be in each
situation) _except_ where explicitly allowed by <wbr>. This is needed
for example in URLs, where browsers might otherwise break after "-" or
"%" or some other special characters.

How are we expected to deal with such issues if white-space: nowrap
kills <wbr>? We would need to split strings like urls into segments like
awkward.

 > It seems to contradict what CSS3 Text is trying to define

I think HTML specs need to specify the meaning of HTML markup, and style
sheets will take it from that. It's up to HTML specs to say whether
<wbr> specifies a line breaking opportunity. CSS specs may define a
setting that unconditionally prevents line breaks somewhere, or a
setting that prevents line breaks except those explicitly allowed in
markup or by the use of line break control characters, or they may
define both kinds of settings (obviously, that would be desirable).

 > In terms of compatibility, WebKit seems to do what the spec says right
 > now, while Trident (IE9), Presto (Opera 11), and Gecko (trunk) don't
 > break on <wbr> in "white-space: nowrap".

The <wbr> element had a simple idea and a natural origin, but browser
developers have confused the issue, e.g. by removing or adding support. See
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/nobr.html#wbr
for some notes on the history. I haven't yet added the absurdity that IE
9 apparently does not support <wbr> _at all_, except in the sense that
<wbr> is recognized as an element and then you can say
.wbr:after { content: "\00200B"; }

So in the current situation, authors need to be cautious and use special
tricks to make <wbr> work, but in the long term, <wbr> should be defined
in a simple and straightforward manner, so that in the future, authors
can use it as a simple and effective tool.

The HTML specs cannot dictate what CSS specs do, and the meaning of
white-space (in detail) is unknown - is it to be understood as in the
CSS 2 specification (which is effectively dead), or in CSS 2.1 (which is
the de-facto standard but formally only a draft that must not be cited
except as work in progress), or in CSS 3 (which is very much work in
progress and may change at any moment)?

So maybe the best way to convey the message is to remove the reference
to white-space and add a note on the _HTML_ element <nobr> (even if it
is kept as obsolete - the spec should still specify its meaning):
"The wbr element specifies a line breaking opportunity even when used
inside a nobr element."

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/