[whatwg] getSelection().modify() in vertical writing modes

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> I do not think that we should ignore people who are not native speakers and
> are writing JavaScript code that works with vertical text. For most people,
> left is left, and up is up. There is no reason to make it more complicated
> than it is already.

Right. But if we changed the semantics of modify('extend', 'right',
'character') to move between lines, then code that tries to select the first
character after the caret will fail.  They have to explicitly detect the
writing mode and change the script.

- Ryosuke