[whatwg] getSelection().modify() in vertical writing modes

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:22:52 -0700
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan at chromium.org> wrote:

> It's not clear to me what forward/backward should do, but left/right should
> do the same thing as using the left/right arrow keys. What do those do in
> vertical writing mode?

They should move caret visually left to right.

The problem stems from the fact we use modify('move', 'left', 'character')
to move left and modify('move', 'left', 'line') to move to up.  Swapping the
meaning of character and line seems extremely confusing to me.

Also, if we changed the behavior of left and right, then we must also change
the behavior of forward and backward as well because we wouldn't be able to
move between characters in logical order otherwise.

- Ryosuke