[whatwg] data: URI origin

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, Luis Marsnao wrote:

> I'm attempting to write a client-side script that processes a user
> selected file through an input element. Since the input element
> interface conceals the file: URI, the best solution I can think of is to
> access the file through the input element's interface, get its data: URI
> through readAsDataURL in FileAPI's FileReader interface, and process the
> data: URI. However, I get not-same-origin errors when I try to use this
> URI. Specifically, this happens when I try to use XMLHttpRequest to
> retrieve an XML resource with the data URI.

With XHR, yes, that's normal, as I understand it. You can't usefully use
XHR with data: URLs.

With <iframe>s you should be able to read the content.

> Is there a better way to process files in a client-side script? I
> considered using blob: URIs, but the support is not yet there.

FileReader is the way you're supposed to do it from a File object.

   http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#FileReader-interface

Since you have a data: URL, you could also just decode the data: URL
yourself. It contains all the data.