[whatwg] a rel=attachment

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Karl Dubost <karld at opera.com> wrote:

> Le 14 juil. 2011 ? 14:45, Ian Fette (????????) a ?crit :
> > Many websites wish to offer a file for download, even though it could
> > potentially be viewed inline (take images, PDFs, or word documents as an
> > example).
>
> Which current websites?
>
> Take gmail as one example off the top of my head. If any of these files are
present as an attachment I get an option to view or download.

> > it seems like adding a "rel" attribute to the <a>
> > tag would be a straightforward, minimally invasive way to address this
> use
> > case. <a rel=attachment href=blah.pdf> would indicate that the browser
> > should treat this link as if the response came with a
> content-disposition:
> > attachment header, and offer to download/save the file for the user.
>

> Are you then proposing to reverse the contextual click on the link to give
> the option, "view in the browser". All browsers have currently implemented
> "save this link as"?
>
> It may please some users. As a user, I will place this in the category of
> super annoying features. It then means I would need a preference in the
> browser to disable it.
>
> Then it is at least 3 modifications to implement it.

Not for all links, no, only links that have rel=attachment. And I would
assume that on such a link, yes, perhaps a "view inline" right click option
may make sense. I wouldn't expect this to be used on anywhere near a
majority of links, but an author can already try to craft a download link --
it's just that in many cases it's either requiring them to jump through
hoops or impossible (e.g. offline apps).