[whatwg] The blockquote element spec vs common quoting practices

Bjartur wrote:
> Citation will most likely contain the cited resource (@cite), the title
> of the cited resource (@title) and the date and optionally time of the
> quote (@datetime?).

All three of which are invisible and so do not match the use cases that Oli has outlined.

At least @title has a tooltip but the @cite attribute has proven to be a complete disaster, unsupported by user agents and ignored by authors, precisely because it is *hidden* metadata. http://www.well.com/~doctorow/metacrap.htm

So I think that we can learn from the history of the @cite attribute in that it shows us how *not* to do it.

> But is it really possible to mark such citations up without presentational elements?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean "presentational" as in "not conveying semantics" or "presentational" as in "visible"?

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Keith

a d a c t i o