[whatwg] AppCache-related e-mails

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 3:17 PM, timeless <timeless at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you have 100mb of junk, it won't fit in my browser's http cache
> either. And that's a good thing, there are other sites I visit that
> are more important. However, a browser is within its rights to detect
> that its user uses a site so heavily as to justify increasing that
> site's cache allocation. That's a QoI detail.

Yes, the quota system can be improved heuristically.

> Note that if 70% of your 100mb is duplicated framework, it's possible
> that a better implementation of your site could fit into a 25mb
> cache...

The only way to remove the duplication is to use a single URL for the
web app (then apply AppCache to that URL), and uses shebang to
uniquely identify the page:

http://bla/page#!id=10

Then all the non-duplicated data are stored in localStorage/indexedDB.

I would love this, however as long as the quota system is still 5MB
(or an equivalent page storage quota), I don't feel inclined to make
that changes to my site yet. The browsers vendors have to move first
to design better quota systems.

Or is there any other way to cleanly do the separation without shebang?

FYI, I want my page to be able to be linked (referenced / bookmarked)
from other sites.

Btw, does anyone know why Facebook abandoned the usage of shebang?

Felix Halim