[whatwg] HTML5 Video - Issue and Request for improvment

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:23:40 -0500
On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Lubomir Toshev <lubo_toshev at dir.bg> wrote:
> And it was closed as won't fix because the behavior is expected. I think it
> should be changed. A brief description of the problem is that when the video
> tag has embedded browser controls displayed and I click anywhere on the
> controls, they cause a video tag click event. If I want to toggle play/pause
> on video area click, then I cannot do this, because clicking on the play
> control button, fires play, then click event fires for video tag and when I
> toggle It pauses. So this behavior that every popular flash player has
> cannot be achieved. There is no way to understand that the click.target is
> the embedded browser controls area. I think that a nice improvement will be
> to expose this information, in the target, that it actually is embedded
> browser controls. Or clicking the embedded browser controls should not
> produce a click event for video tag. After all browser controls are native
> and do not have representation in the DOM. Let me know what do you think
> about this?

Well, to begin with, you could just use your own controls rather than
the browser's built-in controls.  Then you have no problem.  If you're
using the browser's built-in controls, maybe you should stick with the
browser's control conventions throughout, which presumably doesn't
include toggling play/pause on click.

I'm not sure this is a broad enough problem to warrant exposing the
extra information in the target.  Are there any other use-cases for
such info?