[whatwg] Why is the feature "Web Storage" removed from HTML5 Spec?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:29:52 +0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010, zhao Matt wrote:

> I saw HTML5 spec 's
> introduction<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/introduction.html#introduction>includes
> the following content, "Features that are not currently in this document
> that were in the past considered part of HTML5...,, include:... Web
> Storage"
>
> I know "Web Storage" provides ways for web applications to store
> key-value data in the browser, effectively replacing cookies, but I am
> curious why is the feature removed from HTML5 Spec? or Why can't the
> feature be contained in HTML5?  thanks.

It's historical. The HTML working group at the W3C didn't want it in
there, and at the time I was trying to keep the WHATWG spec consistent
with the W3C spec so that they had the same content. I've since given up,
the WHATWG one is now a superset of the W3C one, but is still just "HTML"
things and not anything Web related.

There's a separate WHATWG spec that contains everything still, including
the HTML stuff and stuff like Web Storage:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/