[whatwg] Limiting the amount of downloaded but not watched video

On 18/01/2011 8:05 a.m., Zachary Ozer wrote:
> What no one has mentioned so far is that the real issue isn't the
> network utilization or the memory capacity of the devices, it's
> bandwidth cost.
>
> The big issue for publishers is that they're incurring higher costs
> when using the<video>  tag, which is a disincentive for adoption.

I assume you're comparing to the bandwidth usage of flash? Does flash
allow developers to control how the media is downloaded on the client?
What mechanisms does it provide? Maybe we can do something similar?

Can this not be implemented on the server side? If you know the media
has an average playback rate of X KB/s, can the server reliably throttle
its transmission at 1.5X?

I agree with Boris' comment though; in the majority of my usage, I'm
waiting on the download, not the other way around!

Chris Pearce.