[whatwg] Proposal: Input Method Editor API

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 21:27:37 -0500
On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <ryosuke.niwa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Off the top of my head,
>
>   1. Users may not have sufficient privileges to install an IME - If I'm
>   going to an internet cafe in the U.S., I wouldn't expect computers to
have
>   East Asian IMEs installed.  Web page that requires Chinese, Japanese,
>   Korean, etc... can provide suitable IMEs so that users can use it.
>   2. Not all IMEs are free - web page could provide an IME when the client
>   doesn't have one
>   3. Some IMEs are better than others - web page supposedly can provide a
>   better IME.

An IME is something you want, consistently, on every page you visit.  You
don't want every webpage to have a different, inconsistent IME, to have to
configure IMEs on each page, etc.  OS's without a needed IME installed are
an issue, but implementing it in each webpage isn't the right fix.

--
Glenn Maynard