[whatwg] WebWorkers and images

From: Benjamin Poulain <benjamin.poulain@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 13:38:20 +0100
Hi,

On 01/07/2011 12:24 PM, ext Berend-Jan Wever wrote:
> I assume you've discussed this before, but couldn't find any record. Please
> let me know if there is a document somewhere that explains why WebWorkers
> have so little access to browser features.

I did not see the original discussion but for me this make sense in the
scope defined for web workers:

"This specification defines an API that allows Web application authors
to spawn background workers running scripts in parallel to their main
page. This allows for thread-like operation with message-passing as the
coordination mechanism."

Since it is a _message passing_ concurrent system, you should not have
to care about concurrent access to objects.

To have image manipulation in workers, you would need a way to pass
images as messages between the main thread and a worker thread. If it is
not already possible, I guess that could be a nice addition to the
specification.

cheers,
Benjamin