[whatwg] whatwg Digest, Vol 82, Issue 10

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 06:11:55 -0500
On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 5:50 AM, Roger H?gensen <rescator at emsai.net> wrote:
> This is why I like StartSSL.com so much (besides the free domain and email
> certs), is that the "pay" certs
> are actually for the authentication/certification process, the actual certs
> themselves are free, and you can issue as many certs as you need for a
> certain amount of time.
> Besides being cheap they also notify you a little while before the certs run
> out.

I gave it a try earlier, since it was mentioned.  It created my
account, rejected my CSR, and I got a message saying that I somehow
failed to create a login certificate, that I'd no longer be able to
log in, and according to the FAQ the only way to continue would be to
create a whole new account on a different email address and to ask
them to manually merge the accounts.  That's broken in countless ways;
no CA should have such a brittle, half-baked account system.

--
Glenn Maynard