[whatwg] Intent of the FileSystem API

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:50:03 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Charles Pritchard wrote:

> I'd like some clarification on the intent of the FileSystem API:
> requestFileSystem permanent, getDirectory and getFile.
>
> Are they intended to directly pass through to the host operating system, or
> are they just programming constructs?
>
> They're not particularly easy to use, compared to the IndexedDB data store,
> but if they are OS level commands,
> then they do help with usability of a web app with the rest of the OS: with
> managing files directly from the OS file manager.
>
> Is the FileSystem API intended to expose a folder on the host operating
> system, or is it just an abstraction
> which can be bolted onto any data system (such as, using SQLite as a backend,
> as appCache and IndexedDB do)  ?
>
> Are there any plans of reviewing/visiting efficient File/Blob support in
> indexeddb?

You are likely to get a more useful response to your questions if you send
the above feedback to the lists mentioned in the specs as the place to
send feedback, namely public-webapps at w3.org:

| If you wish to make comments regarding this document, please send them
| to public-webapps at w3.org (subscribe, archives).
 -- http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/file-system/file-dir-sys.html
 -- http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/IndexedDB/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

HTH,