[whatwg] Proposal for separating script downloads and execution

On 2/22/11 8:05 PM, Will Alexander wrote:
> I ask because at one point you stated if DOM attachment triggers the
> pre-load (instead of src assignment), that would address the memory
> consumption.

Well, more precisely it would make it less likely that someone would
accidentally author broken content.  Because all current browsers load a
script anyway, once it's in the DOM.

 > Given you don't sound thrilled with some of the
> concessions required for Images, it sounds like you're more concerned
> with the consequences of pre-loading in general, not the specifics of
> an interface.

I'm mostly concerned with changes from existing UA behavior that can
cause scripts that don't blow up memory usage in current UAs to blow up
memory usage in UAs that implement the new functionality, because such
changes are risky for UA implementors.  If a change has this property,
then that just needs to be taken into account when evaluating it.

-Boris