[whatwg] Google Feedback on the HTML5 media a11y specifications

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn at zewt.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
> <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can you provide some good examples where mid-cue comments make sense?
>> I'm just wondering if it is really an 80% use case.
>
> Editors marking words and sentences that need
> attention<c.glenn>***</c>, commenting on word selection
> <c.glenn>choice?</c>, and so on<c.glenn>etc</c>. ?Having to move these
> comments out-of-line with line comments is a pain. ?I'm not sure what
> you mean by "80%"--most features are used less than 80% of users--but
> this is definitely very commonly used with the SSA file format.
>
> (A practical annoyance is spaces; for example, the above would be
> rendered as "and so onetc." ?I guess a :before { content: " " } would
> work well enough.)

I see, so it's more for authoring help. In that case I would regard it
as classes and what you have done up there is good. If it gets
displayed, that's ok. You could put the blank inside with the etc:
<c.glenn> etc</c> for example to cope with the blank issue.

I really don't think we need to make up something new for this - it
already works as you requested. But I would in addition want line
comments, just so you can comment out full cues or leave comments on
cues.

0-5
// There really is nothing happening here

5-7
// [happy music]

Cheers,
Silvia.