[whatwg] Google Feedback on the HTML5 media a11y specifications

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:16:27 -0500
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
>> Related to line breaking, should there be an &nbsp; escape? ?Inserting
>> nbsp literally into files is somewhat annoying for authoring, since
>> they're indistinguishable from regular spaces.
>
> I would kind of prefer not going down that path, otherwise we should also
> add &shy; and escapes for all kinds of things that are hard to type. I
> naively hope that editors that don't suck at Unicode will spring into
> existence.

I'm not sure the editors can be blamed, but it's also not the only
case; for example, pasting a caption into an email to an editor, or a
version control diff email, and so on.  Because of these sorts of
cases, I'd continue to use &nbsp; in HTML and not the Unicode
character even if editors handled it better.

--
Glenn Maynard