[whatwg] Encodings and the web

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:16:18 +0100
On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 04:40:10 +0100, Mark Callow <callow_mark at hicorp.co.jp>
wrote:
> On 20/12/2011 20:01, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>
>> [3]<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/encoding/raw-file/tip/Overview.html>
>
> This is a great start. A few comments
>
> It seems weird to use Windows' names rather than the iso names as the
> official encoding names. E.g., I expected iso-8859-1 to be the encoding
> and windows-1252 to be one of the labels.

Since the actual encoding used is closer to windows-1252 it seemed more
accurate to me to do it the other way around (though for shift_jis I have
not done that as everyone calls windows-31j shift_jis). It does affect
what document.characterSet returns though so maybe we should switch it.

> "Notes" still says multi-octet encodings aren't listed at all. Perhaps I
> am misinterpreting what "list of encodings" refers to.

Oops, removed that. (Though not all multi-octet encodings are listed yet.)

> Including tables for all the multi-octet encodings is going to be a big
> task and create a very long document.  Such tables may be better placed
> in linked documents rather than the main body.

Yeah I think we have to do that for some encodings. Others, such as UTF-8
and UTF-16, can probably be defined inline.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/