[whatwg] document.write("\r"): the spec doesn't say how to handle it.

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, David Flanagan wrote:

> The spec for document.write()
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/elements.html#dom-document-write
> says: "... have the tokenizer process the characters that were inserted, one
> at a time, processing resulting tokens as they are emitted, and stopping when
> the tokenizer reaches the insertion point..."
>
> But what happens if the last character written by document.write() is a
> carriage return?
>
> The HTML parsing spec says that CR followed by LF is ignored but CR
> followed by anything else is converted to LF.  So if the last character
> is CR, then the tokenizer can't process all characters up to the
> insertion point because it needs to lookahead at the next character,
> right?

I can remove the text "one at a time", if you like. Would that be
satisfactory? Or I guess I could change the spec to say that the parser
should process the characters, rather than the tokenizer, since really
it's the whole shebang that needs to be involved (stream preprocessor and
everything). Any opinions on what the right text is here?

> Similarly, what should the tokenizer do if the document.write emits half
> of a UTF-16 surrogate pair as the last character?

Can you elaborate on what difficulty this would present?