[whatwg] Proposal in supporting the writing of "Arabizi"

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 10:36:39 -0800
On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Sami Eljabali <seljabali at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I apologize if this an incorrect forum to propose new html features
> in which case you may disregard this email, however should you know a more
> appropriate forum then please let me know, else I ask you to please entertain
> this email. :)
>

> There's a need for phonetic based keyboard support for Arabic speaking
> users on today's internet. There are two primary reasons for this:
[snip]
> *Proposal:*
>
> Have the interpreter described above be embedded within browsers and
> enabled when users click and focus on text fields defined as: <input
> type="text" lang="arabizi"> to interpret
> Arabizi<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_chat_alphabet>as Arabic.
> Should a browser not support it, then the <input type="text"> would be the
> fallback attribute leaving users writing in a plain text field.

We are looking into something like this for many languages.  I've
attempted to record this as a use-case on
<http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Text_input_keyboard_mode_control>, but I
can't figure out how to upload images yet.  Once I do, I'll add
screenshots, an explanation, and a link to this thread.

Thanks!

~TJ