[whatwg] relationship between Document and HTMLDocument

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011, David Flanagan wrote:

> > Possibly. I think an alternative is to make the HTML spec just add all
> > the members to Document, and then define window.HTMLDocument as
> > returning the Document interface object. This would make instanceof
> > and "monkeypatching" work as today.
>
> So you'd declare HTMLDocument with the [NoInterfaceObject] extended
> attribute and then add attribute HTMLDocument to the Window interface?

That would have the same effect, but what I had in mind was actually to
change the HTML spec to not define an HTMLDocument interface, instead
renaming it to Document and adding the 'partial' WebIDL modifier.

We'd also have to do this for SVGDocument and other document objects;
before doing this it would be good to see if it's something that is
generally agreeable to everyone.

> That changes HTMLDocument from non-enumerable to enumerable, but that
> seems unlikely to be a compatibility issue.  That works for me, I think.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you mean exactly.